Your boudoir photography session is most likely a once in a lifetime opportunity, so there are several things that you will want to do in order to properly prepare. These things will make the day much less stressful for you, and will make your photos look effortlessly beautiful.
1. Make sure to eat something! I know that being photographed in next to nothing does not lend itself to eating a big meal, but you will want to make sure that you eat something before your session. If your session falls in the morning, have a good breakfast beforehand. If it is in the afternoon, have a light lunch. You will need the energy to be able to make it through the session, and you will want to make sure that you do not run out of steam before the conclusion of the session.
2. Plan to arrive early. The last thing that you want to stress about on the day of your session is time. Be sure to arrive early so that you are able to be relaxed and not rushed and stressed out before your session. Remember, we are going for an elegant, relaxed, beautiful look for your session and if you are overwhelmed or anxious it will show in photographs.
3. Bring a Friend! You will have so much more fun if you have a friend with you- and you will not be as nervous, I am sure. Due to space constraints your friend may not actually be able to be present in the room while we are shooting, but they will have a comfortable place to wait while you are having your session.
4. Wear loose fitting clothing to your session- preferably a button up shirt. Remember that tight clothing can leave marks on your skin that will take time to fade. If you wear loose-fitting clothing to your session we can prevent these marks from forming. Also, a button up shirt ensures that we will not mess up your hair or makeup when you are changing into your chosen outfits. Also, be sure to wear a clear deodorant instead of the white powder kind so that we will not have marks on your outfits.
5. Your makeup should make a statement on its own. Many sessions will have a stylist available for hair and makeup. This stylist has worked with me to develop a “look” for boudoir photographs, so she knows the style of makeup that looks amazing on camera. If you are choosing to use my stylist then be certain to bring your own base as this will most closely match your skin. You may also bring any other makeup that you would like to use. The stylist will also have makeup and false eyelashes on hand, as well as hair styling tools. If you choose to do your own makeup or to have your makeup done for you, remember that your makeup should be heavy enough to look glamorous and make a statement on its own.
6. Bring some ideas to your session. A Boudoir Portrait session is about you looking amazing for your someone special. That means that YOU are the director of your session. While I many times work with an assistant in creating certain looks and poses for your photographs, your session will flow much more smoothly if you bring some ideas and your expectations to the table. I am available prior to your session for a complimentary consultation to discuss your ideas and to make suggestions. It helps if you bring your outfits to the session and show them to me before we start shooting so that I can think through my posing and lighting options.
7. And MOST IMPORTANT- Have an amazing time! Your Boudoir Portrait session is supposed to be fun. I hope that you will feel comfortable around me and that you will be able to relax and have a great time. Have a glass of champagne, put on some music that really gets you going, and remember that you are fabulous! .